People from all walks of life make resolutions on New Year’s about everything from losing weight to pursuing a new career to becoming a better person. Actors are no exception. If you need a new incentive to better your acting career this year, consider making one or more of the following eight virtuous New Year’s resolutions:
- Be yourself all the time. When you meet with an agent or a casting director for the first time resist the temptation to guess what the person is looking for. Avoid trying to be someone else and stick to being yourself.
- Select audition materials with care. Choose materials from plays, TV shows and movies that you believe that could portray well. Don’t worry about whether or not a particular selection is a popular choice. If it is a good fit for you then there is nothing wrong with that.
- Practice every day. Whether or not you have an acting job at the moment you need to keep your skills fresh. Keep your acting skills in top shape.
- Be picky when hiring an agent. There are numerous outlets for finding work without an agent. Be selective and wait until you find the right person before hiring someone.
- Don’t forget to follow up. Follow up initial meetings with thank you notes. Then keep in touch over the coming months with occasional updates about your career as you never know,opportunity can knock on your door at any time.
- Create stellar reels. Casting directors are always interested in seeing examples of actors on camera. So be prepared and carry all necessary material with you at all times.
- Be ready at all times. You never know when the right opportunity is going to present itself. Prepare yourself to face any kind of situation.
- Set goals and take initiative to make them happen. Hone your skills or the craft that is specific to your area of interest.